Posts for tag: dental crowns
If you've had a root canal or another restorative procedure, your tooth may need to be protected. One of the best ways to cover up teeth that have undergone restorative procedures is using dental crowns, and your dentist in Parlin, NJ, Dr. Bhawna Bhatti, offer crowns and can tell you about their benefits.
What are dental crowns?
During restorative procedures, such as root canals, a significant amount of natural tooth is removed. This leaves the tooth exposed to decay and susceptible to breakage, which is why a dental crown is placed over the tooth. The dental crown reinforces the tooth and allows it to withstand various degrees of pressure, meaning you can enjoy eating without the worry of ruining your tooth.
Crowns look like caps and are made of porcelain. Your Parlin dentist takes an impression of your teeth and sends them to a lab where custom crowns are made just for you. In the meantime, you're given a temporary crown.
Here are some other procedures that use dental crowns:
- Covering dental implants
- Protecting a tooth after a root canal procedure
- Attaching bridges
- Covering stained or discolored teeth
How do you care for your dental crowns?
- Bruxism, commonly known as teeth grinding, can reduce how long your crowns last as well. So make sure you find a solution for it with your dentist, like getting a mouth guard or splints.
- Your diet can contribute to your crowns lasting. Don't bite into ice and avoid sugary foods like soda and candy. Sugars contain the bacteria that produce plaque. So try eating healthy foods like apples and carrots that scrape the plaque off your teeth and incorporate more water into your diet.
- It goes without saying that you need to brush twice a day and floss before bed. It's important to remove plaque to reduce the chances of cavities forming and impacting the dental restoration.
For more information on dental crowns and what they can do for you, contact Dr. Bhatti in her Parlin, NJ, office as soon as possible.